The Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VA Digital Camera from Sony improves the existing RX100 V by increasing the buffer size to 233 images, reducing display lag time in the electronic viewfinder, and adding several small features over other aspects of the camera. With the 20.1MP 1" Exmor RS BSI CMOS sensor, the RX100 VA can output detailed images at sensitivities up to ISO 12800. The Fast Hybrid AF system has 315 focal-plane phase-detection points that cover 65% of the image area of the sensor and can achieve focus in as little as 0.05 seconds. That autofocus system is also capable of tracking subjects across the frame, even while shooting at high speeds. Sony's BIONZ X processor enables continuous shooting up to 24 fps with the aforementioned buffer size of 233 JPEG images and improved High Frame Rate recording times.
Like the RX100 V, the RX100 VA can shoot HD video at 960 fps in High Frame Rate Mode and UHD 4K video at 30/24 fps. But a new feature of the RX100 VA is dual video recording, where the camera simultaneously records two video files at once. Also carried over from the RX100 V is Gamma Display Assist, which provides a more contrasty image while using a flat S-Log2 gamma, and the Photo Capture mode for pulling 8.29MP stills from your movies.
20.1MP 1" Exmor RS CMOS Sensor & BIONZ X Image Processor
The 20.1MP 1" Exmor RS CMOS sensor of the RX100 VA can deliver outstanding image quality at up to ISO 12800 with incredibly fast performance. This sensor stacks the pixel area, a high-speed signal processing circuit, and memory to increase data throughput by over five times and deliver features such as 40x super slow motion, an Anti-Distortion shutter, UHD 4K video, and more. The sensor also has focal-plane phase-detection AF points for faster, more precise focusing in as little as 0.05 seconds.
This sensor is paired with the BIONZ X image processor and front-end LSI that improves the speed and throughput of the entire imaging system, enabling continuous shooting with AF/AE at up to 24 fps. An expanded buffer makes continuous shooting possible for longer bursts, up to 233 JPEGs. The front-end LSI is also able to improve overall quality of the images, especially at higher sensitivities.
Fast Hybrid AF System with 315 Phase-Detection Points
The RX100 VA is equipped with an on-sensor phase-detection AF system that provides increased autofocus speed for both stills and video. The camera uses a hybrid system with 315 phase-detection points that covers 65% of the frame along with a contrast-detection system to provide fast, accurate focusing in a range of situations. The RX100 VA also benefits from reduced blackout for easier tracking when using the EVF or LCD.
UHD 4K Video Recording
The RX100 VA is a video powerhouse, delivering up to 5-minute UHD 4K movies with exceptional clarity. By using a full pixel readout without binning, the camera collects about 1.7x the information needed for 4K output. Oversampling helps to increase clarity while reducing the effect of moire and jaggies. Fast Hybrid AF is available during movie shooting for ensuring accurate, fast tracking using phase-detection AF points. The camera also offers Sony's advanced XAVC S format for recording a high bit rates up to 100 Mbps.
High Frame Rate and Slow Motion Shooting
Speed is a huge advantage of the RX100 VA, and in video users will benefit from advanced High Frame Rate shooting and super slow motion. In Full HD, shooters will have access to a standard 120 fps setting that will enable outstanding slow motion when placed in an editing software. In addition to this, the camera also offers a dedicated HFR mode which will boost the cameras frame rate to up to 960 fps. Videographers will have the option of recording in Quality Priority and Shoot Time Priority modes, depending on preference. The camera will output a Full HD file from slightly lower resolutions to produce high quality images at all frame rates. Additionally, an end trigger mode enables users to record 4 or 6 seconds before the record button is pressed so the perfect moment isn't missed.
Body Design and Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Pop-up 0.39" XGA OLED electronic viewfinder offers a resolution of 2.36m dots for crisp, clear imagery. The EVF also uses a Zeiss T* coating to ensure clarity from corner to corner.
- The rear 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD screen can tilt upwards 180° and downwards 45° for shooting at different angles or for composing the perfect selfie. The screen sports a resolution of about 1.23m dots and WhiteMagic technology has been applied to the LCD's design to increase effective brightness for easier viewing in bright lighting.
- A manual control ring surrounds the lens and features a smooth, click-less design for quick and quiet changing of settings. The ring can be assigned to control a variety of features, at different values, such as zoom, aperture, and Picture Effects.
- Custom button and other programmable buttons can be set to one of over 40 functions for quick access to commonly used settings.
- A built-in 3-stop neutral density (ND) filter is available to enable working in bright light with wider aperture settings.
- Pop-up flash will help illuminate subjects in dimly-lit scenes.
- A redesigned menu makes flipping through settings easier.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables instant transferring of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices, with no complex set-up required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and, using Smart Remote Control, remotely control the camera's shutter release. Additionally, the RX100 VA can now connect to a smartphone using a QR code for faster access.